NFC Ratings: 49ers, Cardinals, Rams, Seahawks QB Competition
- 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo survived another round of roster cuts. When asked if Garoppolo could be on the regular season roster, 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan replied: “I think all scenarios are possible.
- Shanahan added that he is still in contact with Garoppolo, although the veteran is not training or attending team meetings: “I communicate with Jimmy all the time. He looks the same as he always has. He always throws it very well. So it looks exactly the same.
- GM invoices Brandon Beane on the job of OL Cody Ford to cardinals: “Putting it all together, in my heart I wanted Cody to come here and have his best year ever. In the end, it made the most sense for the Bills and for Cody. (Catherine Fitzgerald)
- Beane went on to say that the Cardinals have asked about Ford before, along with several other teams checking on his status despite not being a starter on the team. Ford’s representation had also wanted him to start in Buffalo, which was apparently irrelevant. (Sal Capaccio)
- According to HC Kingsbury Cliff, Ford will play inside but could also play tackle if asked. (Josh Weinfuss)
- Kingsbury said G Justin Pugh is rated for a stinger, while G Will Hernandez etc Rodney Hudson will both be ready for Week 1. Those injuries likely contributed to Ford’s trade. (Darren Urban)
DL Rams Aaron Donald revealed that he plans to continue playing with the Rams for at least the 2023 season.
“I have a two-year commitment right now, so I’m going to do everything I can while I’m here to help the organization win and be successful,” Donald said via NBC Sports’ Peter King. “I will last as long as I can, as long as I can play at a high level.”
Seahawks HC Pete Carroll explained that he was in no hurry to name a starting quarterback and the competition between QB Geno Smith and QB Drew Lock continue to.
“I don’t think there’s any “date” pressure on me at all in this regard,said Carroll, via PFT. “I will take the time to understand and make sure we have all the information we need. I can’t wait to see what happens in this game [against the Cowboys]. Geno did a good job and Geno needs a little more help from some guys, they need to be able to catch the football a little better but he handled it well… He put some stuff on the resume there and so we’ll see what happens this week. And we have some very good training weeks ahead. This week is great, next week is great, and the week after is great, so we’ll use all of that if we need to.”
Carroll acknowledged the offense didn’t look good last week with Smith at the helm.
“We didn’t function very well,“, Caroll said. “We didn’t throw and catch the ball as well as needed. We didn’t catch the ball. We missed a few key third-down situations. We got knocked over a ball. We had no rhythm at the beginning of the game to start… We didn’t play at all as we should.”
- Carroll added that Lock will be getting additional looks after going missing last week: “I expect him to play a lot a lot this week.”
- PFF’s Doug Kyed says the Seahawks really haven’t made a decision on who will start Week 1 against the Broncos, according to a team source. The source added that there is confidence in whoever wins the job between Smith or Lock.
- Kyed thinks the Seahawks want to give Lock every chance to win the job.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider news and rumours?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for uncovering NFL news and rumors for all 32 teams!